Facts and Statistics
on Violence against Women
- Every week, at least one woman
in Canada is murdered by a boyfriend or spouse
- Every year, over 90,000 Canadian
women and children are admitted to shelters for battered women.
- Experts estimate that approximately
50,000 women and children are trafficked annually for sexual exploitation
into the United States.
- Women in Iraq, Democratic Republic
of Congo, Sierra Leone, Rwanda, Kosovo, and Bosnia and Herzegovina reported
brutal rapes, sexual assaults, sexual slavery, and mutilation committed by
male combatants. Those who survived the attacks suffered from psychological
trauma, permanent physical injury, and long-term health risks, especially
- Serial killers such as Robert
Pickton target prostitutes – In the past two decades, 69 women have
vanished from Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.
- Many women have lost their lives
because of rage and violence specifically aimed at sex-trade workers.
- In the time it took you to read
this, a woman or girl somewhere in Canada was sexually assaulted.
Government of British Columbia Women’s
Human Rights Watch: http://www.hrw.org
Vancouver Missing Women: http://www.missingpeople.net/